Are you already in the habit of sorting out your recyclables every week? Or, are you someone who needs an extra push to make the effort? Regardless of which camp you fall into, you should know how beneficial recycling can be not only to our environment, but to our economy, as well. Whether it keeps you in the practice of recycling on a regular basis or changes your mind regarding the importance of recycling, this knowledge is something every citizen should have.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the top benefits of recycling!
1. Recycling protects the environment. That’s because recycling decreases how often we need to extract, refine, and process raw materials. In other words, recycling reduces the need for mining, quarrying, logging, oil refining, and all other processes that produce substantial pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
2. Recycling conserves natural resources. By reusing materials and turning them into new products, we reduce the need for consumption of new resources, like timber, water, and minerals. This means we don’t have to strip the Earth of as many raw materials.
3. Recycling lowers the use of landfills. Because recycled materials are turned into new products instead of tossed in the trash, the overall amount of waste that ends up in landfills is reduced. As we know, landfills contribute to a substantial amount of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
4. Recycling saves energy. Even though some energy is consumed in the process of recycling materials and converting them into new products, it’s still not as much as the energy wasted in extracting, manufacturing, and transporting brand-new materials.
5. Recycling supports American manufacturing. By recycling materials locally, we conserve our own natural resources and support the manufacturers that turn recycled materials into new products. Recycling also serves as a way of tapping into a domestic source of materials, as opposed to importing them.
And, of course, the benefits don’t stop there! Hopefully, this post illustrates how beneficial and vital recycling is for our environment and economy.
Plus, you may be happy to discover that Advantage Disposal makes it super-easy to recycle! We use single-stream recycling, which means you don’t even have to separate your recyclables into different categories. We also include a recycling bin for FREE with our regular trash pickups! Give us a call if you’d like to know more.